What to expect
This rewarding volunteer role would suit applicants that love animals and are committed to improving their welfare, and anyone looking for a worthwhile way to spend their spare time.
The position involves grooming/bathing the shelter animals. You will gain insights into the canine and feline species, their breeds, personalities, anatomies and health issues. You do need to have had previous grooming experience, be confident in handling animals, and have the applicable grooming tools.
What are the benefits?
- Lots of hands-on contact with dogs
- Be a part of a respected and professional team, and directly support our mission and vision!
What are the tasks?
The position is hands-on and includes:
- Hydro-bathing our dogs
- Grooming dogs when necessary with your own equipment
- Ensuring the grooming area is presentable and tidy at all times
- Cleaning the hydro bath
- Taking the dogs on toilet walks
- Following RSPCA philosophy of positive reinforcement with all animal interactions.
What skills and characteristics do I need?
- Willing to undertake a hands-on role with animals
- Confident with dog breeds of all sizes
- Ability to work within a close-knit team and autonomously
- Good customer service skills, and patience
- Able to cope with increased noise levels
- Be physically fit (able to lift 10kg) and able to stand for long periods
- Attention to detail and able to accurately follow instructions
- Enjoy working in a team environment
- Excellent communication skills
- Hard working and committed to the RSPCA
When can I volunteer?
- We request a commitment of 1 shift per week for a minimum of 3 months to ensure consistency and continuity with the animals. Orientation and training in relation to animal interaction, training and husbandry will be provided.
PLEASE NOTE: As part of volunteering with us you will be required to purchase an RSPCA Volunteer T-shirt for $25. It is also a requirement that before handling animals at the RSPCA you have an up to date Tetanus vaccination.
For further information, please contact our Townsville Volunteer Program Support Team on 07 4774 5130 or firstname.lastname@example.org, or APPLY NOW below.