RSPCA Queensland is a non-government, community based charity dedicated to improving the lives of domestic, farmed and native animals in Queensland. Our mission statement is simple but powerful: Together We Change Lives.
About the role
Providing vital help to all creatures great and small by ensuring that the health and welfare needs of all animals in the care of RSPCA Qld are met and are of the highest practical standards. Your role will require you to work as part of a dynamic team within the Veterinary Services department of the Dakabin RSPCA shelter, Veterinary Clinic and Desex Clinic - as well as in collaboration with the Veterinary Services department based at Wacol (via phone, email and teams).
- Be a part of a wonderful team of people committed to animal welfare.
- Nurse animals in the direct care of RSPCA Dakabin Veterinary Services, ensuring they are kept comfortable, medicated and fed.
- Prepare animals for surgery.
- Perform routine medical and laboratory tests.
- Assist the veterinarians and Animal Attendants in treating animals.
- Administer routine veterinary treatments and medications.
- Triage incoming animals.
- Assist with basic Vet Reception duties such as data entry, booking specialist appointments, updating animal files with veterinary and behaviour notes.
- Assist potential adopters and reclaiming owners with enquiries relating to their animal’s health and care requirements.
- Perform cleaning duties.
Who are we looking for?
- A Certificate IV in Veterinary Nursing (or Australian recognised equivalent).
- Previous surgical nursing and emergency and critical care experience with companion animals would be highly regarded.
- The ability to work autonomously.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- A passion to improve the lives of animals and a commitment to achieving the long-term goals of RSPCA Qld.
This is a part time, min 16 hours per week role based at the Dakabin Animal Care Campus. Working hours are across a 7-day roster, with some weekend work required. Remuneration is as per the RSPCA Qld Enterprise Agreement for Veterinary Staff (Certificate IV qualified or equivalent) with a starting pay rate of $27.02 per hour (junior rates may apply).
Benefits and culture
- Health & Lifestyle benefits – Free Access to Lifeworks EAP, 6 weeks paid or 12 weeks half-paid Parental leave, Companion Animal leave, Study leave, Volunteer leave and other leave options.
- Free on-site parking, free animal adoption options, branded uniforms, staff discounts with retailers, free pet vaccines, 40% off Royal Canin pet food, boarding options and much more!
- Salary packaging and novated lease arrangements on offer with our provider, Salary Packaging Australia.
- Access to a range of learning and development opportunities that will benefit and support you in your role.
- Countless opportunities to interact with the animals in our care.
- Be a part of a purpose driven organisation where the work you do really does have an impact on the welfare of animals.
How to apply
Please click here or visit www.seek.com.au and search using the keywords ‘Vet Nurse’, location ‘Dakabin’ and follow the application instructions. Please include a copy of your resume and cover letter.
Please note: Due to Queensland Health regulations, it is a requirement that candidates possess a recognised Certificate IV in Vet Nursing to be eligible to apply for this role.