What you should do to maximise your pets reclaim potential.
Microchips are a wonderful way of identifying your pet but make sure your details stay up to date and your alternative contacts are people you trusted with your pets life!
- Check www.petaddress.com.au to make sure your pets chip is registered
- If it isn’t registered go to www.homesafeid.com to register your pet
- If your microchip is registered with one of the many registration companies make sure your details are correct and up to date
- If you do purchase, adopt or get an animal from anyone make sure you check the microchip status before taking the animal, the original owner will need to sign over ownership on a change of ownership form before the registration company can change the pet into your name.
- If you move house or change phones make sure you add “Update Fido’s Microchip” onto the TO DO list.
- Make sure your pet also has external ID so anyone finding your pet can quickly get them home to you.
- Call 1300 36 37 36 to get a Very Important Pet tag for your pet to be connected 24/7 to RSPCA Qld’s Call Centre.
So if in the terrible event that Fido, Freddy or Bella escapes you will have the peace of mind that your details are up to date and you have the highest chance of getting your loved pet home to you.